Saturday, July 2, 2016
Search by Keyword
The Marshes of Glynn Libraries (MOGL) recently teamed up the Glynn County Sheriff’s Office to provide a library program at the County Detention Center for which MOGL received a national award for excellence from the American Library Association. Participating and aiding in the program’s success were (left to right): Sheriff Neal Jump, MOGL Director Geri Lynn Mullis, Brunswick-Glynn Public Library Manager Lori Hull, MOGL Programming Director Karen Larrick, Undersheriff Ron Corbet and Jail Administrator Col. Judy Lowe. Not pictured is detention officer Capt. Vernette Massey who also provided invaluable assistance. Islander Staff Photo - Permar
MOGL receives national award for innovative programming at County Detention Center
By Matthew J. Permar


Ever since the Glynn County Commission supported the local Library Board of Trustees’ decision to leave the Three Rivers Regional Library System three years ago and form the Marshes of Glynn Libraries (MOGL) things have gotten better at both the Brunswick-Glynn and St. Simons Island Public Libraries.
And it was no exception last weekend when the Brunswick-Glynn Library received the ‘ASCLA Exceptional Service Award for 2016.’
The ASCLA is the Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies, and is a division of the American Library Association (ALS).
“So this is a national award!” said MOGL Director Geri Lynn Mullis when she recently announced the award to the MOGL board of trustees.
Mullis, along with Brunswick-Glynn Library Manager Lori Hull and MOGL Programming Director Karen Larrick attended the American Library Association’s (ALA) annual conference in Orlando over the weekend where they received their award.
MOGL received the award for an innovative program put on by Larrick and Hull at the Glynn County Detention Center.
Mullis, Hull and Larrick teamed up with Sheriff Neal Jump, Undersheriff Ron Corbet, Jail Administrator Col. Judy Lowe and detention officer, Capt. Vernette Massey to make the program happen.
The program was part of a larger program the library offers called ‘Every Child Ready to Read’.


Inside the Islander
 
What you are missing by not subscribing!
6/27/2016

C4SSI/SI offers alternatives for St. Simons cityhood
by Pamela Permar-Shierling
Citizens for St. Simons Island/Sea Island (C4SSI/SI) held a public meeting last Thursday night to present two additional scenarios related to the city incorporation idea that was put forward last year by the group as a panacea for St. Simons Island’s perceived growth issues.
Earlier this year the incorporation idea was met with stiff resistance from many island residents as well as Glynn County’s entire legislative delegation.
George Ragsdale, the lone spokesman for the group during last week’s meeting, insisted that incorporation was a “misnomer.”


County kiboshes IGA with City
By Matthew J. Permar
Last week the Glynn County Commission voted 4-3 to veto an Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) with the City of Brunswick regarding how the Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax 2016 revenues are shared.
During a joint city-county work session in either April or May it was tentatively decided, but not voted on, to give the city 22% of the SPLOST.
According to Glynn County officials, Georgia state SPLOST law requires counties to split the SPLOST with local municipalities. The minimum amount the county must give the city is based on population. This would give the city 19%, leaving 81% for the county.

IPC: rezonings deferred; Marshall building approved
By Matthew J. Permar

Facing an agenda with 15 items, the Island Planning Commission (IPC), was planning on a very long meeting last Thursday, June 21.
But things changed at the start of the meeting when 10 rezoning requests were “postponed until further notice” by the applicant.
The applicant for all 10 rezonings was the Glynn County Board of Commissioners (BOC), not the property owners.
Nine of the rezonings were down zonings from Highway Commercial to Local Commercial. The tenth, also a down zoning, was from Highway Commercial to Medium Residential.



• Pleasant Grove Youth Group provides volunteer repair work in Brunswick

New Public Defender appointed

• 2 local students Merit Scholarship recipients


• Gang violence program

• Pew News

• Jeff Lane

• Back Talk - Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...





And much more!!!

To read these stories call 912.265.9654 to subscribe today.





 
 
Current Conditions
78°F
Partly Cloudy
Saint Simons Island, GA
Radar & More >>
Advertisers
click ad below for details
  • Show All Ads